THE MOST ROMANTIC BUCKET LIST
THE MOST ROMANTIC BUCKET LIST VACATIONS FOR COUPLES
Are you looking for the ultimate way to revive the romance?
Whether it’s your anniversary, birthday, or you’re just looking for a special weekend together, these unique bucket list vacations for couples will make you want to book your flight today.
Where are some of the most unusual and romantic destinations in the world?
Visit Dracula's Castle in Transylvania
Did you expect this one to be on the list?
Perhaps you thought the Eiffel Tower or Amazon Rainforest would make the list.
Well, I’m mixing it up.
Transylvania may just be Romania’s best-known region, and it’s also the largest.
It has incredible mountains, undisturbed forests, medieval villages, and hearty food.
If you’re looking for bucket list vacations for couples, then add this to your list.
It’s more unique than a hot air balloon ride or a national park.
Simply put, it’ll “wow” anyone who asks you what you did for your anniversary.
After all, who has actually been to Dracula’s Castle?
If you’re interested, here’s what the experience will look like:
- Fly into Cluj-Napoca. You’ll fly into Avram Iancu International Airport, which is Transylvania’s largest and busiest airport. It’s the second busiest after the capital of Bucharest. If you’re looking to do this on a budget, you’re in luck. You’ll find that you have flight options from 15 different airlines, and there are plenty of budget airline options (especially if you’re not attached to bringing luggage). You’ll start your trip in Cluj-Napoca and travel to the rest of Transylvania by car, train, bus, etc.
- Understand your visa needs. Romania and Bulgaria both joined the EU in 2007. However, it’s not yet part of the Schengen Area. Countries that are a part of the Schengen Area allow free movement between their borders and visa-less travel for EU citizens. While Romania is expected to join soon, you won’t be getting a Schengen visa, so any EU citizens will need their passport or national identity card. Citizens of the U.S., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand don’t need a visa for up to three months of stay. If you’re traveling from somewhere else, then you might. You can check your status with the Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Know where you’re going. Transylvania is known because of its connection to vampire folklore. However, there’s so much beyond that. Go to Romania to visit Dracula’s castle but stay to experience what else Transylvania has to offer. Transylvania is a region located in central and northwestern Romania. More recently, there have been tensions between the Romanian (70%) and Hungarian (18%) communities in the country, and this is important historical context to understand when you visit.
- See Bran Castle. Bran Castle is “Dracula’s Castle” – now a huge tourist attraction. Bram Stoker’s novel Dracula has inspired decades of pop-culture mythology. While the character Count Dracula is said to be inspired by a prince named Vlad III Drăculea, this has not been proven. That said, the castle is beautiful, and it has spooky Dracula-themed touches. If you have the luxury of picking the time of year for your bucket list vacation, then go for Halloween! This is the only time of year that Transylvania is open at night.
Explore the Incredible Temples of Bagan
Have you ever heard of Myanmar?
Myanmar, also called Burma, isn’t a well-known or popular destination yet.
This makes it all the more of a bucket list vacation for couples looking to get off the beaten path.
When you think of Southeast Asia, you probably think of Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, or Indonesia.
Yet, Myanmar is an up and coming destination that provides many of the same benefits.
Here’s what your experience may look like if you explore the incredible temples of Bagan as one of your bucket list vacations for couples.
- Visit Bagan during the right season. The best time to visit Southeast Asia is from November to February. The weather is steady during the day, and you’ll see clear skies, which means it’s perfect for a hot air balloon ride over the temples. If you can’t seem to make your couples getaway work in this time frame, we suggest avoiding March to May (and especially April!) as this is the hottest time of the year. The rainy season is from June to October. You’ll be outside most of your visit exploring the temples, so you want to optimize your travel with the best weather possible.
- Decide how long you’ll stay in Bagan. Bagan can be a shorter trip. You can combine it with a larger trip to Southeast Asia or do a quick trip if you don’t have a lot of time off from work. You should plan to spend at least 3 to 4 nights in Bagan. This way you can see the temples thoroughly without rushing.
- Figure out where to fly into. Unfortunately, Bagan doesn’t have an international airport, so you’ll have to get there either with a domestic flight or by bus or car. For your international flight, you can fly into Yangon (the largest city in Myanmar and the main travel hub). You can also fly into Mandalay, which is the second-largest city and closer to Bagan. After that, you can either book a domestic plane ticket, a bus ticket, or rent a car.
- Decide where you want to stay. There is an Old Bagan and New Bagan. Old Bagan is, as you would expect, an old town where the infrastructure is not as developed. As a result, there are fewer good options for accommodation with reliable infrastructure, and you may find that the power is out at your accommodation more often than you’d like. However, Old Bagan is closer to the temples, which makes it convenient. If you don’t actually anticipate being in your accommodation that often, it is more authentic and atmospheric. New Bagan was built to house the growing population, so you can rely on it for more updated infrastructure. It’s easier to find a place to rent a motorcycle or e-bike if you want to explore the city on your own. You will have access to newer and more modern places in this area. However, it’s not as authentic an experience.
- See the temples. To enter the Bagan archaeological site, you’ll need to buy a ticket that allows you access to the temples in Bagan. The ticket is around 15 USD and valid for 3 days. You can be asked for it randomly, so don’t lose it! Or you’ll have to buy another one. You can buy it at Nyuang U airport (Bagan’s regional airport), or you can ask your hotel. As for seeing the temples themselves, you have a lot of options in terms of how to get there.
- Bicycles: Some temples have been abandoned, which means they’ll have paths that aren’t available to a car. A bicycle is the perfect solution that allows you to navigate narrow dirt roads while exercising. That said, you will be in the sun all day, which means you’ll have to take the time of year and the weather into account if you choose this option.
- E-bike: Since tourists aren’t allowed to rent mopeds, this is a good option if you don’t have to power your bike all day. This will help you charge through and travel faster. To rent an e-bike for the day it should only cost you around 4 to 6 USD.
- Horse-carts: This can be one of the most unique and fun ways to explore the temples as a couple. Although, it can be slow. If you’re looking for a more leisurely experience that you can share together as a couple, then this is a great one. This should be around 15 USD for the entire day.
- Taxis: You can hire a taxi to take you around to the temples. It eliminates the heat and dust factor. It’s by far the fastest and most convenient way to explore the temples. However, it’s also the most expensive. A taxi will cost around 35 USD for the day. Your hotel can help arrange a taxi for the day if you ask them.
- Guide: Guides are also available to take you around from temple to temple and tell you the history of these UNESCO World Heritage Sites. While prices will vary (and it does get expensive), this can be a great way to learn a lot about what you’re seeing and enjoy the cool air conditioning of the car.
Participate in a Hiking Tour in the Grand Canyon
Perhaps you’ve seen the Grand Canyon, but have you really seen the Grand Canyon?
Grand Canyon hiking tours are a way to explore the vast landscape of one of the Seven Wonders.
Because this landscape remains unspoiled, it’s a fabulous way to reconnect with nature and to reconnect with each other.
When you choose to participate in a Grand Canyon hiking tour, there are quite a few options that you have.
I’ll lay them out for you, and you can decide what’s best for you and your partner.
- Backpacking tours: Looking for the full experience? Carry everything on your back during a guided tour of the Grand Canyon. This is truly on the list of bucket list vacations for couples who love putting themselves out of their comfort zone.
- Basecamp hiking tours: There’s a well-appointed camp on the rim that you can return to after you’re done hiking and seeing gorgeous views. This is perfect for the summer months when Arizona temperature at the bottom of the Grand Canyon reach triple digits.
- Lodge-based hiking tours: If you don’t want to sleep on the ground, I don’t blame you. There are lodge-based Grand Canyon hiking tours where you can spend several days in the Grand Canyon hiking and exploring trails by day. Then, you’ll return to soft beds and showers in the evening. It doesn’t get much better than this!
- Day hikes: Maybe you don’t want to spend days and days hiking in the Grand Canyon. No shame in that! There are plenty of attractions in Arizona (like Sedona!) that are beautiful and can serve as an awesome couple’s retreat after you’re finished getting out in nature. A Grand Canyon day hike or rim tour would offer an introduction through a full-guided and expert-led hiking tour. You’d see all along the south rim and discover the best viewpoints and trail secrets.
Hike Through the Antelope Canyon
Do you love the idea of hiking the Grand Canyon, but you’re just not quite ready for that yet?
Antelope Canyon is the most photographed slot canyon in the world.
You’ve probably seen pictures of it before, and now you can see it with your own eyes as well.
Both the Upper and Lower Antelope Canyon hikes only take 1 hour.
Plus, they’re easy.
Don’t fret if you don’t own hiking boots.
You can hike it year-round, but reservations must be made in advance.
Because it’s Navajo land, you sometimes need a permit 6 months in advance.
Make sure you plan your trip accordingly.
Visit here to learn more about Antelope Canyon.
Bucket list vacations for couples are the perfect way to reconnect in your relationship.
They may help you get out of your comfort zone or see or do something you’ve always wanted to experience.
What are your recommendations for bucket list vacations for couples? If you have any, comment below!
If you need more help planning this trip, use our Ultimate Guide to Trip Planning.
If you simply do not have the time to plan your next trip or you just don’t want to do it, why not let us help you? We will create the perfect bespoke itinerary just for you!